Tag Archives: Smoke

DESIGN OF T2 FLAWED, CAUSED SMOKE FROM SMALL FIRE TO SPREAD QUICKLY: EXPERTS

The experts said that it is the design of the terminal building itself was the main culprit on how the smoke spread to the whole building. According to them, the room which contained the air-con that as the cause of the fire, was not well ventilated. Due to this, the smoke from the small fire spread quickly to other parts of the terminal. Experts have warned that having air-con in a room that is not well ventilated is not safe. This is clearly demonstrated in the Changi Airport fire, where the smoke spread quickly even though the fire was small and was contained immediately.

Read More »

TRAIN FILLED UP WITH SMOKE AT RAFFLES PLACE STATION

News reports have emerged that Raffles Place MRT station was hit by a freon gas leak on Monday night, and this leak caused a train to be filled with "smoke". This happened at about 8:45pm on Monday. Luckily the gas was non-toxic and non-flammable, but witnesses said the train was very hot when the leak occurred, and naturally, passengers started to panic. Imagine being in a train, when it suddenly filled up with smoke and you started to feel hot. And being on a train, you had nowhere to run.

Read More »

NEA DOES NOTHING: RESIDENTS PLAGUED BY SMOKE FROM RESTAURANT FOR YEARS

My family and I have been suffering from this polluting and health hazardous charcoal bbq smoke from a Bbq restaurant at 530 Geylang road 好张记烧烤, ever since we moved in Oct 2014. We have complained to NEA countless times. (Fyi, my upstairs neighbor has also complained to NEA few years ago) NEA was told that the restaurant has added carbon filter (with photo proof from the owner)and whatnot but NOTHING HAS CHANGED as we are still enduring the smoke nuisance EVERYDAY especially on weekends. This restaurant operates from 4pm to 5am EVERYDAY! Every evening, sometimes as early as 4.30pm, the bbq white smoke from the restaurant's chimney can been seen blowing onto the street and into my homes (living room and bedrooms).

Read More »

PANICKED PASSENGERS KEPT IN THE DARK DESPITE THICK SMOKE IN MRT

Some passengers called for urgent assistance through the train’s emergency intercom but received no response. We were distressed, trapped in a smoke-filled train and had no knowledge of what had happened or what to do. Can SMRT explain how its staff are trained to respond to an emergency reported through the intercom? Why was there no response in this incident? Finally, what measures does SMRT have to ensure passenger safety in confined spaces like an underground tunnel?

Read More »