With the announcement that Tan Chuan Jin is stepping down as the Minister of Social and Family Development to take on the role of Speaker of Parliament, activist Gilbert Goh has compiled these unquotable moments to remember him by.
1. "At the end of it, everything must make sense for Singaporeans. It has to!"
2. "Money in CPF account is your money!"
3. "Singaporeans protesting the PIDC (Philippines Independence Day Celebration) are a disgrace to Singapore!"
4. "We cannot shut out foreigners seeking jobs in Singapore."
5. "TB is not contagious, no need to close school!" (Referring to a rare TB outbreak in Singapore).
6. "The normal perception that all cardboard collectors are people who are unable to take care of themselves financially is not really true. There will be some who do this as their main source of income. Some do so to supplement what they have. Some prefer to earn extra monies, treat it as a form of exercise and activity rather than being cooped up at home. They do this to remain independent, so that they can have dignity and not have to ask their families for help." (Referring to his experience with elderly cardboard collectors).
7. "There is nothing to stop PRs from continuing to own property in Singapore, even if they have left."
8. "In that case, don't bring them there and keep them at home."(Referring to the chronic haze situation in Singapore when pre-school teachers were worried about bringing kids to the facilities).
9. "We may desensitise the information, perhaps anonymise it somewhat, without going into too many details, to help the public understand the context." (Referring to more online pleas for aid).
10.“Not everything ought to be legislated at once as ultimately, we aim to change behaviour in a sustainable way." (Referring to the need for employers to issue payslips to workers).
First posted on Gilbert Goh's Facebook.