A total of 182 officers from various Singapore government agencies, who have been involved in the Republic’s relief operations in Nepal following last month’s earthquake, will be returning home in the coming days, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) spokesman said yesterday.
The winding down of the Singapore contingent’s mission comes in the wake of the Nepali authorities’ announcement earlier this week that they would be ending search-and-rescue operations.
“Apart from providing consular assistance to Singaporeans stranded in Nepal, (the contingent’s) mission included search-and-rescue and disaster recovery operations; disaster victim identification; provision of field medical assistance and relief to the injured and sick; and to support the Nepalese authorities’ coordination of relief efforts,” the MFA spokesman said.
Singapore had sent its personnel to help with relief efforts in response to Nepal’s call for international assistance after the Himalayan nation was struck by a 7.8-magnitude earthquake on April 25.
It quickly mobilised personnel from the Singapore Police Force, the Singapore Civil Defence Force, the Singapore Armed Forces, the Ministry of Health and the Health Sciences Authority for deployment to Nepal. The Foreign Ministry also sent a crisis response team to Kathmandu.
The Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) mobilised its C-130 aircraft to carry personnel, equipment and relief supplies to Nepal, and has, to date, operated a total of eight flights between the two countries.
The RSAF also evacuated a total of 95 Singaporeans, permanent residents and foreign nationals from Nepal.
The MFA spokesman noted that medical supplies have been given to the Singapore Red Cross (SRC) in Nepal.
The Singapore Government contributed S$250,000 through the SRC to help the Nepalis.