The Public Transport Council announced that train operators SMRT and SBS Transit can submit their fare adjustment applications to the PTC for review. The maximum allowed adjustment for this year is -3.9% and due to the carry over -1.5% from last years, the total would be -5.4%.
PTC says they will determine any price revision after taking into account consumer price index, energy costs and wages.
It is curious that PTC does not take into account SMRT’s poor record of reliability especially in recent months. Shouldn’t such severe breakdowns be taken into account to ensure these transport companies are not being rewarded for their poor unreliable service?
If PTC is indeed an organisation set up for the benefit of Singaporeans, they should take firm action and reject all upward fare adjustments until SMRT and SBS achieve a certain level of reliability.
Otherwise, Singaporeans will be pissed and angry that PTC is just another dog blindly sucking more money out of her citizens.