SG LANDLORDS PRACTICING RENTAL RACIAL DISCRIMINATION EVEN IN TOUGH MARKET

According to CNBC, Singapore’s landlords are still practicing racially discriminatory renting even in this tough housing market.

This according to interviews with housing analysts, who state that landlords typically exercise discrimination against certain ethnic groups due to anecdotal evidence of past misdemeanors.

Common ways of practicing discrimination are ads which openly declare: “no Indians/ PRC” (slang for People’s Republic of China) or “no Malay.”

“Technically, landlords can’t really be choosy in this market, but only 40 percent are conscious of profits and costs. The other 60 percent are highly sensitive to the profiles of prospective tenants and thus susceptible to racial bias,” said one property agent who works with major firms and wished to remain anonymous due to the topic’s sensitive nature.

PRCs are seen as being unkempt and not likely to properly maintain a rental property, resulting in damages.

Elsewhere, South Indian cuisine is the main gripe against Indian tenants.

Check Also

AMDK Seen Wakeboarding At Civilian War Memorial Is A New Singapore Citizen

24-year-old Stephan Kovalkov was seen in a viral video wakeboarding at the Civilian War Memorial …