Despite a fierce fire that broke out on the 3rd floor escalator landing at Chinatown Point yesterday afternoon, the fire alarm failed to go off even though the whole mall was filled with smoke.
The SCDF said it was alerted to a fire at about 3PM and dispatched fire engines and support vehicles to the scene. When the fire was put out, preliminary investigations showed electrical wiring in the motor of the Schindler escalator had been burnt.
According to one eye witness, who works in the building, the fire alarm did not sound even though there was a great amount of smoke being produced.
Perennial Real Estate, which manages Chinatown point, announced that it would be investigating why the fire alarm failed.