Dear A.S.S. Editor
Hi everyone. I would like to share about my bad experience with KTPH. Here is what happened. On 19th Jan, I had to go for a nose surgery to open up my airways. 1 week before the surgery, I went for a pre-surgery evaluation check-up with the anesthetist. During this time I highlighted clearly that I had an acid reflux problem when I don’t eat my meals on time, I usually end up vomiting due to gastric and heartburn. Since I’m required to fast for 12 hours before my surgery, it was important that I highlighted this so that necessary precautions could be taken by the anesthetic team during my surgery. The doctor who evaluated my case took down all the necessary details in my case file.
On the day of the surgery, I fasted for 12 hours and went to the hospital. They brought me to the operation room and prepared to put me to sleep using general anesthesia. At about 9am I was put to sleep. I woke up at about 1pm in the intensive care unit with all kinds of wires attached to me and tubes in my mouth. A doctor told me that my surgery was cancelled because while they were inserting a ventilator tube into my throat after they put me to sleep in the operation room, I vomited due to my acid reflux condition and my lungs got filled up with vomit.
The anesthetist immediately inserted some kinda vacuum tube into my lungs to drain out all the fluids. The stomach acid that went into my lungs caused me to have pneumonia. I will never know what really happened in the operation room as I was asleep but Xray showed white patches in my lungs. I was on a ventilator for a few hours. The team of anesthetist acted fast and were able to save me.
The next day I spoke to the anesthetist who put me to sleep at the operation room. I demanded an explanation to how did this happened to me as I had highlighted clearly about my acid reflux problem and it was recorded down in my patient case file. He admitted that he didn’t take it seriously and by right, precautions should have been taken to avoid this. He apologised and admitted that the mistake was at their end and this entire episode could have been avoided if they had taken necessary precautions. The anesthetist’s complacency and negligence almost killed me. Instead of fixing my nose, they messed up my lungs. I was lucky to have made it out alive.
This is not the first time that I had a bad experience with this hospital. A few months ago, the pharmacy at this hospital made a human error and prescribed the wrong dosage of medicine to me. Unknowingly, I overdosed on a crazy amount of predisone which caused terrible side effects. They waived off some hospital charges and issue a letter of apology (which took them 2 months to mail it to me).
I have totally lost faith in Khoo Tech Phuat Hospital. I gave them a 2nd chance and things only got worse. I am never trusting them with my life again. I am starting to wonder how many people must have lost their lives due to mistakes made by the people working at that hospital. Nobody will ever know because nobody knows what happens in the operation room behind closed doors. Anyway, I survived this. Victory over death. Clearly my time isnt up yet and god have plans for me. What now? Show me the way Jesus. #reflection