Tomorrow is the start of a new school year. Here are 10 things I learned in school. (And still unlearning them)
1. About Social Stratum. I learned I came from a poorer background when I saw schoolmates being dropped off by parents from their cars.
2. About Race. I learned that my Malay football mates didn’t mix with the Chinese.
3. About Authority. I learned that fear of authority was supposedly normal and good.
4. About Respect. I learned that respect towards teachers need not be earned.
5. About Education. I learned about things that were only useful in getting grades.
6. About Self-Worth. I learned I was worth less than the A Class students.
7. About Division. I learned to be separated from friends who could not advance to next year’s class because they failed their examinations.
8. About Ego. I learned to judge others, and also of myself.
9. About Indifference. I learned to stay silent when I see humiliation meted out to others.
10. About Ethics. I learned to cheat and evade in order to avoid flouting rules.
Don’t let schooling stand in the way of your education.