SINGAPORE: A tragedy occurred in Geylang on the night of 1 June when an elderly Singaporean set himself alight after he lost his job as a food store helper.
The man had been pulling in $1000 a month based from job, but had recently lost his job.
He had been looking for work for a week without success.
Feeling despondent, he approached all his friends who had lent him money in the past and thanked them.
Having done this, he headed to Geylang Lorong 10, stood next to a rental taxi, poured gasoline over himself and set himself alight.
The fire caused an explosion with flames shooting up 3 stories high. A rescue team sent him to the nearest hospital but as the man had suffered 90% burns on his body, he could not be saved.