KOH POH KOON: NOT EASY FOR S’POREANS TO UNDERSTAND OIL PRICING

It’s not easy for most people to understand petrol pricing. Crude oil is unrefined. MOPS price is the price of refined petroleum and is the internationally traded price for refined petroleum. MOPS constitute less than 30% of the listed retail price of petrol. The other 70% comprises of costs of land tax, operating costs, petrol tax etc.

So if MOPS price which mirrors Crude price drops by 50% but this only contributes to less than 30% of the final retail price, then the final retail price will only drop by (0.3 x 50%= 16%). That’s why even though crude oils price drops by 50%, you see only 16% drop in pump price.

It’s like saying yellow noodles is only one of the ingredients of fishball noodles so even if the price of the yellow noodles drop by 50%, you will not see the price of the entire bowl of noodles get sold for half its usual price!

Check Also

Worker’s Party MP He Ting Ru Calls Out Systemic Racism in Singapore

Sengkang MP He Ting Ru said she was dismayed that many Singaporeans are living with racism. "There is no place in our society for racism, sexism or xenophobia," she wrote.