I CAN relate to Trivelis residents as I am in the same plight (“Developer should fix defects: Vivian”; Sunday).

I collected the keys to my unit at an executive condominium, which is facing issues such as water seepage and ponding, among others.

It is inconceivable that a newly constructed building should have these issues.

I shudder to think what will happen to my unit down the road.

I turned to the developer and the Housing Board, Urban Redevelopment Authority and Building and Construction Authority for assistance but was disappointed by their replies.

They were unable to step in as these were private issues governed under the sales and purchase agreement (SPA) between buyer and developer.

Is it acceptable to have water seepage issues in newly constructed buildings and have them called defects? Seepage came from the roof and flooring of my open terraces.

Isn’t there a standard requirement for developers or builders to adhere to? Why does this fall under the SPA?

Even if the developers fix my property’s issues, will these rectifications be properly done or will they be temporary repairs? The 10-year warranty on waterproofing is not of any help. If seepage occurs every few months, especially during the rainy season, my family and I will be the ones who suffer as we live there.

Is there an enforceable clause in the SPA to protect buyers, giving them the option of returning the unit if it is of unacceptable quality?

The standard practice would be to engage a lawyer to file a civil suit. This is a lengthy process and not all of us have the means to go through with it.

Could the authorities look into this matter and protect home buyers?

Pearlyn Lee Mei Chun (Ms)

Check Also

Voyeur Colin Chua Yi Jin’s Father is SPH’s Chief Financial Officer Chua Hwee Song?!

Colin Chua Yi Jin, who filmed voyeuristic videos of 12 women, has the gag on …