A personal mobility device (PMD), which was left charging in a living room of a Hougang flat, burst into flames on Friday evening, causing 4 residents of the unit fleeing for their lives. One man, a 27 year old who lives in the flat, even had to crawl out of the gates of the unit, as he did not have time to bring anything out. The man relies on a wheelchair or a can to move around because of a spinal problem.
Three other people in the unit, his mother, his stepfather and his uncle, also managed to fled the flat after he did. He also said that about 10 of his neighbours came out to help them. The stepfather, a 48 year old pest control workers, suffered minor bur injuries from the fire, as he had tried to put out the fire by using water from the toilet in the unit. His uncle was also hospitalised for minor burn injuries and bruises.
Unfortunately, the unit also had three pigeons in cages, and all three did not make it out alive.